Before the Second World War there was a Carnival every year in Alderley Edge, with a Rose Queen and a May Queen elected by the local churches. The war brought it to an end and it was only some years after, well into the 1950s, that it restarted. It was organised by St James’s Church on Heyes Lane (now long since demolished) and later carried on by the other churches in the village. It continued into the 1980s until the churches felt they could no longer sustain it and it then stopped for several years, until it was restarted as the May Fair by Christine Munro in 2010.
The first Rose Queen, Muriel Lees(right), and the first May Queen, Gwen Leah (left), together with their Page Boys, in 1922 Picture courtesy of Alderley History Group.
Today the May Fair’s aims are to be a community event that brings local people together for a day of fun and celebration, and this is set out formally in our Constitution. We hope that the event will encourage goodwill and the involvement of local groups, businesses, schools, charities and individuals. Any surplus funds we raise will be donated to local charities, with a particular focus on care of the elderly.
Everyone involved in organising the May Fair is a volunteer and none of us is paid for our work.
If you’re interested to find out more about local history the Alderley History Group meets around five times a year in the Methodist School Rooms, Chapel Road, Alderley Edge. It hosts a wide range of eminent experts – historians, archaeologists and others – who explain our past so that we can make more sense of our present. For more information visit their stall at the May Fair or call John Wallace on: